This guide covers North Christchurch businesses only. For other parts of Christchurch or to read about city-wide council and community services, or city-wide shopping options, please refer to the Zero Waste in Christchurch City homepage.
NB: All our regional guides cover as many low-waste options as we could find for food, drink, kitchen and food packaging, cleaning products and bathroom products – scroll down to view each category.
Food options (i.e. stores that offer loose items which you can put, unpackaged, into your own BYO bags/containers)
- Spice Heaven, 205c Hills Road, Edgeware – stocks a range of unpackaged/loose spices in bulk bins.
- Shirley Bakery, 202 Hills Road, Edgeware – sells unpackaged bread and other bakery goods (just BYO bag!)
- Peter Timbs Meats, 70 Edgeware Road, Edgeware/St Albans – BYO container to this butchery to get fresh cuts of meat, sausages and small goods without the disposable plastic.
- FreshChoice Edgeware, 61 Edgeware Road, Edgeware/St Albans – has a smallish bulk bin section, but it’s pricey.
- Cafe Edge & Artisan Bakery, 59 Edgeware Rd, Edgeware/St Albans – sells a wide range of bread and some bakery goods unpackaged, so BYO bag.
- Crisp On Edgeware, 1066D Colombo St, Edgeware/St Albans – stocks Greenz peanut butter (who encourages customers to return their empty jars for reuse, though their factory isn’t in town and Crisp said they don’t take them back to pass back to Greenz) and loose/unpackaged medjool dates.
- Ma Baker, 1066 Colombo St, Edgeware/St Albans – sells unpackaged bread and bakery goods (BYO bag).
- Traiteur European Butchery, 210 Aikmans Rd, Merivale – BYO container to this butchery to get European style meats without the disposable plastic.
- Fresh Choice Merivale, 189 Papanui Road, Merivale – as well as the usual pricey (but extensive) bulk bin/pick and mix section, this supermarket sells unpackaged bakery goods and bread, lettuce and mesclun, and shiitake mushrooms (hard to find unpackaged!) – just BYO bags; this store is also OK for customers to BYO container for any deli foods (e.g. meats, salads, olives etc.); and also stocks Trade Aid chocolate and sugar (which both of which come in home-compostable packaging).
- Fendalton Seafoods, 5 Memorial Ave, Fendalton – BYO container for fresh fish without the disposable plastic.
- SuperValue Fendalton, 376 Ilam Road, Fendalton – sells unpackaged bread and bakery goods, and a small expensive bulk bin/pick and mix section with nuts, seeds, dried fruit, snacks and lollies.
- New World Bishopdale, 41 Bishopdale Court, Bishopdale – this was the first New World in the country to try doing “Food in the Nude“, meaning their fresh produce is (mostly) unpackaged (incl loose mesclun + lettuce) – let’s hope it becomes a trend! Here they also sell unpackaged bread and bakery goods (BYO bags), and small Trade Aid chocolate blocks (which come in Econic home-compostable packaging).
- Peter Timbs Meats, 129 Farrington Ave, Bishopdale – byo container to this butchery to get fresh cuts of meat, sausages and small goods without the disposable plastic.
- Copenhagen Bakery, 409 Harewood Road, Bishopdale – sells unpackaged bread and bakery goods (BYO bags).
- Coffee – wherever possible, we encourage people to find places that sell whole or ground coffee beans unpackaged and have them put in BYO bags/containers. In the North, your only option is to go to one of the many Coffee Culture cafes at 235 Papanui Road, Merivale; 286 Main North Road, Redwood; and at Christchurch Airport. However, there are many, many other roasters around the city, so check out our other Christchurch City guides. You can also get Trade Aid instant coffee (which comes in Econic home-compostable packaging) at Fresh Choice Merivale, 189 Papanui Road, Merivale.
- Tea – as most tea bags have plastic in them, we drink loose leaf teas. So we’re always on the lookout for loose leaf teas that you can get unpackaged. Usually this is not very easy in New Zealand. However, you can take your own bags/containers to fill up with loose herbal teas (and some spices too) at The Herbal Dispensary, 160 Hills Road, Edgeware.
- Milk – Unless Happy Cow Milk opens up again, your best bet will be milk powder from a bulk bin from Spice Heaven, 205c Hills Road, Edgeware, or at one of the three Bin Inns in South Christchurch and East Christchurch. Or get the ingredients to make non-dairy milk (i.e. oats, nuts, threaded coconut or rice) from a bulk bin.
- Beer – look out for places that sell beer on tap and BYO bottles/flagons to fill up. Brewers Union sell local craft beers and can be found at most farmers’ markets in the region; Super Liquor Elmwood, 1 Normans Road, Strowan, has lots of taps ranging from high end craft beer to cheap bog standard beers like Speights etc.; and both North ChCh Liquor King stores – at 17 Papanui Road, Merivale and 153 Cranford Street, St Albans – have craft beer on tap.
- Drinking Chocolate – you can find Kokako drinking chocolate (which comes in Econic home-compostable packaging) at Crisp On Edgeware, 1066D Colombo St, Edgeware/St Albans.
Kitchen/food packaging alternatives
- Milk Contemporary Baby Store, 184 Papanui Rd, Merivale – stocks Munch sandwich/lunch bags and beeswax wraps, and reusable metal straws (though these are wrapped in plastic, unfortunately)
- Fresh Choice Merivale, 189 Papanui Road, Merivale – stocks My Vita Bags 100% organic cotton produce and bulk bin bags, and Keep Cup reusable takeaway coffee cups.
- Red Current, Merivale Mall, 189 Papanui Rd, Merivale – stocks cotton washcloths that could be used as dishcloths.
- Coffee Culture, 235 Papanui Road, Merivale; 286 Main North Road, Redwood; and Christchurch Airport – stock branded Keep Cup reusable takeaway coffee cups.
- @cquisituons, Northlands Mall, 55 Main Road North, Papanui – stocks reusable carry bags, Cuppa Coffee Cup (NZ-made reusable takeaway coffee cups) and silicone pot/bowl covers (an alternative to plastic cling wrap and tin foil).
- Steven’s, Northlands Mall, 55 Main Road North, Papanui – sells Keep Cup reusable takeaway coffee cups, metal water bottles, and wooden dishbrushes with replaceable, home compostable heads.
- HandzOn, 402A Main Road North, Redwood – stocks organic cotton yarn (which you can use to make your own dishcloths, produce bags and more!) and unpackaged crochet hooks.
- New World, 41 Bishopdale Court, Bishopdale – stocks Budget brand 100% cotton dishcloths and My Vita Bags 100% organic cotton produce bags.
- Unichem Pharmacy, 37 Bishopdale Ct, Bishopdale – stocks reusable metal water bottles.
- You can find Eco Planet laundry powder (which comes in a cardboard box with a cardboard scoop – no plastic lining!) at Fresh Choice Merivale, 189 Papanui Road, Merivale, and New World Bishopdale, 41 Bishopdale Court, Bishopdale.
- For more zero waste cleaning product options, check out our shopping guides for other parts of Christchurch city.
- Bamboo Toothbrushes – these are a great alternative to plastic toothbrushes because they have wooden, home compostable handles (bristles are still plastic and need to be sent to landfill). You can get the Humble Brush brand at Hammersley Pharmacy, 206/202 Hills Rd, Edgeware; Life Pharmacy, 193 Papanui Road, Merivale; Shields Pharmacy, 95 Main Road North, Papanui; and the Go Bamboo brand is stocked at Fresh Choice Merivale, 189 Papanui Road, Merivale.
- Unpackaged Soap – we believe soap doesn’t need packaging (it is made to clean, after all!). Thankfully, there are plenty of places that sell unpackaged soap: HandzOn, 402A Main Road North, Redwood; and @cquisituons, Northlands Mall, 55 Main Road North, Papanui.
- Shampoo and Shaving Bars – Shields Pharmacy, 95 Main Road North, Papanui, stocks Ethique‘s range of awesome bar alternatives to toiletries that usually otherwise come in plastic or aluminium bottles – from shampoos and shaving soaps, through to body and facial cleansers and moisturisers. All Ethique’s products come in bar form in home compostable packaging.
- Other – You can find menstrual cups at Life Pharmacy, 193 Papanui Road, Merivale; New World Bishopdale, 41 Bishopdale Court, Bishopdale; and NZ-made menstrual cups at Shields Pharmacy, 95 Main Road North, Papanui. You can also get washable incontinence undies at Life Pharmacy, 193 Papanui Road, Merivale and St Albans Pharmacy, 1073 Colombo St, Edgeware/St Albans. For some zero waste fragrances, check out the unpackaged selection of Scentchips from @cquisituons, Northlands Mall, 55 Main Road North, Papanui.